Labels with Variable dataUp to now, we have discussed placing objects such as a barcode, rectangle or text with static data on a label. Barcode & Label also supports labels with variable data. These are labels that contain data-linked objects that is prefilled with values only at print (or preview) time. Both the Text and Barcode objects support variable data and the list of variable fields that are implemented are given below.
- Contact : Name
- Contact : Personal Email
- Contact : Work Email
- Contact : Mobile Phone
- Contact : Home Phone
- Contact : Work Phone
- Contact : Home Address Street
- Contact : Home Address City
- Contact : Home Address State/Province
- Contact : Home Address ZIP/Postal Code
- Contact : Home Address Country/Region
- Contact : Work Address Street
- Contact : Work Address City
- Contact : Work Address State/Province
- Contact : Work Address ZIP/Postal Code
- Contact : Work Address Country/Region
The printing of a label with variable data also requires more attention. For example, if you have a page with 15 labels and have selected only 5 contacts, the remaining 10 will be left blank and unutilized. It is possible to replicate the 5 labels to the rest of the page to avoid wastage of labels. You will basically just need to adjust the "No. of Labels" option in the Preview page. If you set "No. of Labels" to 15, the data from the 5 contacts will be repeated 3 times to fill up all the labels in the page.
Alternatively, you can print only 5 labels, and leave the remaining 10 labels unused. In the future, you can feed this partially printed label stock back to the printer and specify the Start Position as 6 in Preview to start printing from the sixth label. This will allow you to utilize the unused labels.